Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Force announces new members
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Task Force plays a crucial role in creating and sustaining an inclusive campus community. Members work with the Vice President of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Dr. Laura Renée Chandler to identify, develop, and implement strategies that move the university forward.
This fall, new members of the DEI Task Force were selected to serve a two-year term, or one-year term on a limited basis. Interested candidates were asked to complete an application, which included a letter explaining their role on campus, commitment to DEI, and interest in serving on the task force. The following members were selected from the applicants.
- Kristen Clayton, Assistant Professor of Sociology
- Rhana Gittens, Assistant Professor of Communication Studies
- Mariel Meier, Associate Professor of Physics
- Megan Murphy, Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology
- Derek Otis, Instructional Technology Librarian
- Kathleen Peters, Visiting Assistant Professor of Religious Studies
- Timothy Piper, Assistant Professor of Communication Studies
- Janelle Pham, Assistant Professor of Sociology
- Katharine Zakos, Associate Professor of Communication Studies and Chair, Division I
- Leron Burge, Assistant Director of Student Involvement
- Alejandra Gil, Administrative Assistant of Campus Operations
- Ethan Hawkland, Assistant Director of Admission
- Autumn Johnson, Senior Admission Counselor
- Elizabeth Peterson, Director, Oglethorpe University Museum of Art
- Miriam Smith, Senior Director of Title IX and Equity
- Kristian Willingham, Senior Admission Counselor
- Justin Bennett, economics major; SGA Student Body President
- Alyssa Greene, biology major
- Morgan Quach, human resource management major
- Karen Rivera, biology major
The task force also includes three subcommittees focused on: climate and sense of belonging, diversity strategic planning, and community partnerships. Learn more at the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion website..